Sister John Martin Fixa, OP went to eternal life on October 27, 2018. Fondly known as "Johnnie", she was born on May 9, 1940.
A native San Franciscan, she began her teaching career in 1962 and taught every grade except kindergarten and high school freshmen. Among her teaching assignments was Saint Elizabeth High School from 1970-1976.She served for 14 years as principal of Immaculate Conception Academy, her alma mater (now ICA Cristo Rey Academy). She was Founder and Executive Director of Dominican Sisters Vision of Hope from 1995-2015. Catholic education, teaching, and service to the poor were her greatest passions.
Her happiest times were celebrating with former students, and she enjoyed reading, gardening, dancing, and parties. She will be sincerely missed.
We will celebrate Sister Johnnie's life with the following services:
Friday, November 2
- 2:30PM Rosary and sharing of memories at the Fremont Motherhouse Chapel 43326 Mission Circle, Fremont, CA 94539-5898
- Light refreshments will follow on site
Saturday, November 3
- 10:00AM Mass celebrating Sister Johnnie's life at the St. Joseph Parish Church at 43148 Mission Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94539
- Burial directly following service in God's Acre of the Fremont Motherhouse
- Lunch provided on the Fremont Motherhouse campus
There will be people on site to direct you to available parking on Saturday, November 3.
Please RSVP by November 1 at 3:30PM online here.
You may also call the Fremont Motherhouse Receptionist at (510) 657-2468 to RSVP by November 1 at 3:30PM. Please leave a voice message when prompted.
Update for Southern California services:
There will be a memorial Mass celebrating S. Johnnie at 5:00PM on November 27 at Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy located at 440 St. Katherine Drive, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011. Please RSVP to Kate Ruggerio at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone her at (510) 533-5768 by November 15.