May Christ’s coming into our world renew our prayerful attention to the needs of others.
Recently restored on the Motherhouse campus, the Mater Dei Chapel honors Mary as the Mother of God. May our Blessed Mother’s journey in faith and trust call us forward over the four weeks of Advent, December 3-24, 2017.
The Mater Dei Chapel was designed and built by Sister Justina Niemierski, OP and dedicated on the Feast of the Assumption, August 15, 1923. Motifs and illuminated panels in the chapel evoke feminine wisdom with depictions of trees and plants culitivated in Mission San Jose.
The Mater Dei Chapel restoration was directed and generously sponsored by the Josephine and Salvatore Caruso Family, and blessed on the Feast of Queen of the Holy Rosary, October 1, 2017 by Bishop Michael C. Barber, SJ.