Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose Receive Community Development Block Grant from the City of Fremont
Fremont, CA, 4/10/2013 —On April 9th the Fremont City Council voted to appropriate $250,000 in FY 2013-14 funds to the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose.
The CDBG funds will be used to support an estimated $1 million-$1.2 million renovation of the first floor of their Siena building to host an Alzheimer's Services of the East Bay (ASEB) operated adult memory care program.
The Dominican ASEB program will offer the first dementia-specific adult-day care program in Fremont serving 50 diverse, low-moderate income elders and veterans in the Tri-City area, providing professional, affordable "person-centered" care to individuals and care giver families.
The sisters' strategic plan recognized their Motherhouse as a treasured resource that could be shared with the community to address urgent needs in the arts, health and wellness, environmental sustainability and spirituality. ASEB, a 25-year non-profit leader in memory care, will operate the program on the Motherhouse campus.
The Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose are an international congregation of Catholic sisters, founded in California in 1876 to serve "the young, the poor and the vulnerable." Arriving in Fremont in 1891 the sisters continue to maintain their 26-acre campus and operate a School of Music, open to adults and youth interested in learning flute, guitar, piano or violin. The sisters also cultivate the largest remaining grove of "mission-era" olive trees in California, producing extra virgin oil that is bottled and shared with friends and sold each year at their Holiday Boutique.